September 09, 2008

Callie Sighs

I wrote this sometime in July 2008, about 1 month before Callie died.

You are 13.5 years old this month. "Old as dust" as you were recently called by the young man leaving for work in his Hummer. (Oh his carbon footprint.)
The sighs you emit sound as old as dust.
Sighs of contentment began emanating from you at about 5 or 6 years old. At least that's what I took them to be. You would heave a lengthy sigh when we snuggled in for sleep, or when I'd pick you up in my arms, bring my face close to yours and kiss you.
You are sighing now; or is it purring? Like a cat; each breath in and out contains a sound that can only bespeak utter contentment.
Your sighs, these sounds are purposeful; as if you want me to know that you know you are loved.
Your sighs contain the collective love, affection, holding, feeding, daily walks, running away explorations, racoon adventures, even deer attacks of your 13.5 dog years.

I am so very grateful (KOSZONOM) that you grace my life.

No comments: