January 01, 2009

Orion

Orion

I salute you mighty Orion, visible each clear night,
(and most nights are clear in southern California)
taking up a goodly portion of my southeastern sky.
Standing bold and strong, fearing no one, nothing.
You command without ever bearing your sword.

I cherish your existence, the fact of your being,
the fact that the light here is dim enough to see you.
You bring me great peace, comfort to my heart.
To know that the elements of the Sky persist,
regardless of our place in the world.
To know that the Moon will wax and wane each
28 days; that I can greet the tiniest sliver of the new Moon,
my favorite Moon , never failing to bring a smile to my face.

For those who have lost much, the permanence of these
Lights, these suns of other worlds, planets and moon of our world,
allow us to appreciate our place in this vastness.
May my heart return to the stardust from which it was created.

No comments:

Blog Archive